Friday, January 7, 2011

A Night on the Town


Inside the Gloucester Arms Pub


Mary, Me, and Annie


My first bites of fish and chips(they asked if I wanted mushy peas or garden...I picked garden:)


The "loo" in Gloucester Arms Pub:) I thought it was funny how the handle is on the wall:)


The "Tube"/subway 


Big Ben!


First glimpse of The London Eye!
 




British Parliament Building


Telescope for 20 pence (approx.35 cents)




Statue on a building




It was a little windy, but the temp. was great



One of my favorite's from the night :)


A party boat on The River Thames

Today started out with a meeting from our host organization FIE; they went over house rules, class rules, etc...I then had a four hour break and went with a few people to get a sandwich and coffee at Cafe Deco. From there we walked up some road (still trying to figure out the roads here, I can recognize landmarks well though:)The street signs aren't on corners of roads on poles, but rather on black metal gates on the corners of buildings. Also, cars park in the middle of the street with traffic running on both sides. I often find myself looking the opposite way for oncoming traffic than I'm supposed to, because they drive crazily on the "opposite" side of the road. I then went to a chemist/pharmacy called "Boots" and bought shampoo, conditioner, and some hairspray. I had dropped my bag near the cash register and thought  nothing about it and picked it right up. A few minutes later, a guy I was with said, "you're bag's leaking." Here, the top of my shampoo bottle had opened and it was leaking onto the shop floor and my shoes :) It was no big deal though, the cashier came over and cleaned it up. It was definitely more funny than anything:) Then we made our way over to Mark and Spencer's; a kind of Macy's/H&M/IKEA all in one. I bought a towel there. Around 4 o'clock, I had to make my back to the Imperial College for a meeting about my internship, which I still don't know where I've been placed but soon they said, and learned some useful London workplace tips. I came back to my flat and a group of us wandered around the area for the night. We stopped at a very popular pub called Gloucester Arms (pronounced Glossture)for a plate of fish and chips and a Strongbow (beer/wine/cider type of beverage). After that we ventured to the underground and took the tube from our area to the Westminster area and walked around the river tonight. It was absolutely beautiful! The weather has been a bit rainy off and on, but the temperature has been around 50F, which feels great compared to the 15F weather I left! I'm having a great time and tomorrow morning we have a traditional double-decker bus tour of London from a "Blue Badge" (an official tour guide of London, they study for years and years to become certified!)After that we have a walking tour scheduled. It's been crazy and busy, but I'm having a great time. Missing and loving everyone :) 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment