Sunday, January 16, 2011

My day with Mary/British Museum, etc...


Last night, a few of us stopped by The Queen's Arms pub right by our FIE mail stop of Metrogate. It's a small and cozy little spot in a Mews (alley). 


This afternoon, Mary and I went to The British Museum which was really fun. They focus on Greek, Roman, Asian, and Egyptian history and it was fun to see the artifacts that I had only learned about in textbooks. 



The grand glass ceiling in the entrance of the museum


THE ROSETTA STONE!!! I learned about The Rosetta Stone in my 9th grade World Geography class with Ms. Lewis and ever since then I've been super intrigued by it. It's a tablet that was discovered by Napoleon's Army and is written in three different texts. Greek, Demotic, and Hieroglyphics. It was the main piece of history that was the aid to decoding hieroglyphics!


The writing close up


These were pieces of carved Marble in the "Greek" part of the museum. They were brought to Britain by Lord Duveen of Millbank. They are highly controversial, because many people think that they should be returned to there home of Athens. There are some here and some in Athens, and who knows, maybe more around the world. 


Many of them lining the walls to form a story line.


They belong around The Metopes of The Parthenon



Carved statues from the original pediment of The Parthenon


A Minotaur


Right around this statue, a French man walked up to me and asked if I was American or Australian. Obviously, I do not have an Australian accent so I was very confused. He then proceeded to ask me, because I was snapping some pictures, if I was an artist...no, fashion designer...no, musician...no? I really didn't know what his deal was. He then proceeded to talk about the statue and flashed his "Official Parisian Watercolorist" License at me. I don't know if he was just a lonely artist or what, but it sure was an awkward convo...and don't worry, I he didn't pick-pocket me or anything! 


A Caryatid that supported the roof of the Erechtheum


This time it's a marble cow for mom :)


The bust of a horse with legs that were destroyed in a war. Around this exhibit, two VERY good looking Italian men starting following us...I wasn't complaining :) 


An Egyptian sarcophagus in which a mummy would be placed.


This was an extremely interesting exhibit where it outlined the lives of two people: a man and a woman. This is just a short snippet of all of the medication they took throughout their lifetimes. They had lived through cancer and high blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. There were also artifacts from throughout their lives, birth certificates, glasses, childhood toys, and death certificates. The pills were sewn into netting and about four feet wide by 30 feet long!


A chubby little man in the Asia exhibit :)


Me striking my best Egyptian pose of the afternoon in front of the Egyptian god Horus and an Egyptian man.


The remains of Egyptian bones that were found in a basket grave.


More Egyptian remains that are a little better preserved, because their process was better perfected.


Mummy


After The British Museum, Mary was invited to a family friend's for dinner and asked if I wanted to come along and I happily agreed. It was a ton of fun and they had two adorable little girls; one being an adorable fiery little red head :) It was definitely an adventurous day and worth every moment. Tomorrow is class and signing up for excursions through our program. Windy and misty here today. Have a good night :)

1 comment: